Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First Horse Show

I finally got to go compete in my first horse show this past week end. The NENHA(North Eastern Nevada Horsemans Association) puts on the shows in Elko. Its a club that is perfect for those that are just beginning wether you are interested in western performance, gymkhana or some English disciplines. Due to the weather, the show was in Spring Creek at the Horse Palace-its a very nice indoor arena.
Anyhow, both Riata and I were very nervous(me more than her) but we did well and learned lots and met a lot of nice people. There will be 3 more shows this year; one in July, Aug. and Sept. We competed in 4 classes; Showmanship-Halter, Western Pleasure, Trail and Western Horsemanship. Sara was really sweet and was willing to get up early -we left at 5:30- and hang out with me all day plus Ursula met us over there too and was a great help also.

It was early-no I'm not really sleep-driving; I was peeking at the road while Sara took the pic.
Riata all cleaned up-again. I gave her a bath the night before and she rolled just her head in the freshest pile of manure that was in her pen sometime during the night sooo,,.............. we gave her a sponge bath-scrub when we got to Spring Creek.

Even she thinks its early


Afternoon snack-very important-just ask her. Its easier to not be so nervous with a full belly.



Sara and Ursula enjoying P.B. and J sandwiches plus fresh fruit. Tailgate picnic!




Here we are waiting for our last class-Western Horsemanship-we got 1st in this class. WOOHOO!!


All done. We got one 1st place, two 4th places and a 6th place. This show built my confidence quite a bit. I know what to expect and what I need to work on.


She was really concerned with that was going on in that direction.

Okay, now we can relax. It was getting a little dusty in there-not that you could tell.








1 comment:

Geer Family said...

I should say the show should have built your confidence! Bravo on such great placing!! Wish we were there to cheer you on.