Thursday, March 6, 2014

New Year

Well, here it is 3 months into the New Year and I am just now getting a post put into my blog-sorry.  I have finally figured out how to get pics put onto this laptop and get them onto my blog so now I have no excuse!!
The year started off cold and actually snowy!!  We sure need the moisture.  We haven't gotten anywhere near enough to fill up the river and reservoirs that are critically low but we have continued to get rain and snow so far which is a lot better then last year so we'll keep taking it-not like we could stop it anyways.  This brings up a good point though-its all in God's hands so in the mean time, we need to continue to trust in Him and humble ourselves and pray-God works through prayer and then always give thanks-look for the positive in all things; this can really help your attitude and out look on life.
Okay, so anyhow, I said it got cold and yes it did-really cold for a couple weeks. The temps dropped to around 20 below a couple times and only in the teens during the day. This was cold enough long enough to freeze the same waterline that froze up last year and I was still boarding horses so watering them became a bigger chore-lots of hoses to drain....blah!  On the positive side, the line has since thawed and didn't break and a friend of ours came up with a solution that doesn't involve digging up the  entire line to go deeper or move it-we're going to put a drain and shut-off valve on it so we can just turn it off in the winter.  This will be so much easier then digging up a 100ft of pipe and I can deal with the hoses if need be, however, at the moment I have no extra horses so no worries.  

  So, some pictures around the house.  This particular morning it had been storming all night and when I went out to feed it was very calm and quite-snow storms have a way of really silencing the outdoors.


   As I said it got cold!
 After one of the storms.
 Always seems so peaceful to me!  I love trying to get out in the hills even when it has snowed but never made it this year but winter isn't over and we have had snow in July so we'll see.  We sure need a lot more though.
   Despite the cold, Jessie and I managed to get some riding in.  The first Nevada Bandits show was in February so we wanted to keep the horses in shape as much as possible.  Its a bit tricky riding them when its this cold and their thick winter coats as you don't want them getting too sweaty and then getting chilled.
 The sunshine felt good!  Its fun making tracks in the snow too!!
 One thing I am planning on doing this year is giving someone else the camera and let them take some pics too-I love seeing what they take pics of......usually  ;)
Can you guess what she is thinking?!  "My bucket has been placed over the fence and you are just standing there-can't you see the calories that are being burned off in this cold weather and don't you care?!"
 While the cold and the snow can get tiring you definitely got to have some fun and be thankful! The dogs knew just what to do.......run!!!
 ......and run
.....and run!!  Angel just loves finding the deepest drifts and diving into them however I wasn't able to get a pic because she was too fast and it was getting dark so my camera was having trouble focusing however, you can see she was having a blast!!

No comments: