Monday, August 17, 2009

Butchering

Warning: The following was rated PG-13 for graphic images.


This post is a bit over-due since this event took place a few weeks ago but I have hardly sat still for..............a long time and well, its starting to get to me regarding the blog so please accept my apology.............again.
The event that you are wondering about, butchering chickens! These chickens are ready to butcher in 8 wks-they grow really fast. They're like mini turkeys. Anyhow, I have never butchered chickens before so Judy was kind enough to come over and help with this event. She's had lots of practice-she's a pro. I had no problem on the method of killing but wasn't sure how to proceed after that. We didn't do all of the chickens in one day as that would of taken all day-we did half, 12. Jerry, my dad and later my mom all showed up to help-it was greatly appreciated. We finished the rest the following week.
Okay, last warning-not for the faint-hearted.

Step 1. After catching said chickens, kill them.
This is quite messy! So we didn't have chickens running around with their heads cut off, I hung them up before they were beheaded. (don't worry, the knife was very sharp-I got compliments on how quick I was) This way also allows them to drain too.
Step 2. Plucking
Here we are all gathered around the table for the joyous task of plucking. (this is the worst part of the whole thing as far as I'm concerned) Wet dogs don't campare to wet chickens; neither do goats, cats or horses-I would rather gut a deer-hands down!!) THEY STINK!!!

The best and easiest way to pluck them is to first dip them into very hot water-the feathers come out much easier.


Ummm..............Jerry was having a lot of fun-maybe to much.



This is a very tedious process. Your fingers get tired.




After they were all plucked, they were then gutted, cut up, wrapped and put in the freezer. Sorry there are no pics of this. Guts are guts and they are gross and we have all seen a cut up chicken and freezer paper is boring and the freezer isn't any better. Bryan thought that the rest of it may be too graphic anyways-I think I agree.
I tried to get the girls involved a bit more but they weren't really interested in touching them now. I can't imagine why.





No comments: