Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Permanent Visitors?


Sometimes I wonder when things come into our lives if they are a test or just a part of life-maybe both.  The other night I was woken up by barking outside of my window-my dogs were in the house so this was not normal.  I looked out my window and thanks to a full moon, I was able to clearly see 2 LARGE white dogs who were very happy to see me.  Now, it is 2 in the morning, my bed is warm and cozy but there are 2 very big dogs that I have never seen outside my window-what do I do?  Of course, I get up, put my boots, coat and hat on, grab a flashlight and head out to go say 'hi'-after all, I have lots of critters that could make wonderful snacks for such large dogs and I didn't want any of that!  They were very friendly and happy to see me so I thought that I would just show them the gate and send them on their way-I always have a hard time with this because I would hate to see them hurt but do I try to call the Sheriffs Office to have someone pick them up-I hate seeing them go to the pound too, or do i let them stay not knowing how they are going to behave with all of the other critters here?  Anyhow, one of them wouldn't follow me to the gate-he seemed set in staying so I thought I would put them in the kennel and deal with them come morning-this didn't agree with both of them either. So, after strict instructions that they were not to kill anything, I left them and went back to bed(I didn't sleep well knowing they were out there) but to my surprise they curled up and went to sleep right out the window and were happy to see me again come morning. 
The next morning, since they were still here, presented another 'problem'-my dogs. How is everyone gonna get along?  I decided that on opposite sides of the fence was the way to do introductions.  Thankfully, everyone had tails waggin and didn't seem to mind and so the gate was open and the 'visitors' came on in to the yard. Now what?  We find the owners!
I went and woke the girls up so they could come see them and hang out with them while I fed everybody else-by this time they all thought they were starving.  The girl's were immediately 'in love' with these dogs, which by the way are puppies-90+ pounds of puppy!!
It didn't take long to discover that these were truely gentle giants who loved all the affection they were getting and before long, names were thought of just in case the owners are not found.


 It was very obvious that these pups had never been in a house before as they took a little persuasion, pushing and pulling to get them in but they have now discovered that inside is a cool place to be.



                                                             Gentle giants!!                
                              



                                                       House dogs?  They seem to think so!!



So let me introduce you to Stuart and Grant. Yes, they've been named after Civil War officers.

No comments: