Thursday, October 14, 2010

Deer Down!

On Tuesday, the 12th, I was successful on harvesting my deer. Bryan and I had gotten up at 4am and had left the house at 4:50 to head down through Buffalo Valley, into Jersey Valley and then up the Golconda Pass road that goes through the Tobin Mtn Range. When we had gotten to the 'meadows', we unloaded the 4 wheeler, got all of our gear together and headed up.
We had been up hear a few days before and didn't see much except a little fawn and when we had gotten up to the old mines, she was still there, apparently she had been separated from her mother.
Can you see her? Look closely-this is why you can be looking at a deer and never know it-they are really good and blending in and not moving.
Me-we had just got done from hiking up and down a draw trying to find some deer that we had seen-no luck and we were both quite warm when we got back to the quad. We couldn't of asked for a better day; the weather was perfect!

The end of the trail is in sight.


And at the end of the trail is where I found this buck.........at the top! If we had been about 5 minutes later, we probably wouldn't of found him because he bedded down right after I started my stalk. The highest point behind me is Mt. Tobin at just under 10,000ft. He bedded about 250ft below that and to the right.



Not a bad 4 point and I was a very happy hunter!




I hiked up the side of the mountain to the backside, up around the point and then until I was 224ft above the buck. All I could see where his antlers, so after trying to get him to stand up(I was whistling, making noise, throwing rocks and he wouldn't budge), I called Bryan on the radio and told him my dilemma. He decided that he would start walking up the side of the mountain also but would stay in view of the deer. As he got closer to the top, he finally had to start walking towards him( he was hiding some in the brush), throwing some rocks, making noise etc.... When he was only about 200ft away, the buck finally decided to stand up and I made my shot. It was a perfect shot right through the lungs-he dropped about 20ft away.

Here is where Bryan sat with the spotting scope as I made my 'stalk' up the mountain. Its also a view of where we came from.


Another view of the area. This is the looking down into Indian Canyon, across Buffalo Valley, kind of towards Battle Mtn. Some steep country!



The man who helped make the hunt a success getting the deer ready on the 'deer sled' to head back to the truck.

Pulling the deer didn't last to long as the sled got a tear in it so we loaded him onto the front of the quad and really 'cinched' him down. I'm sure we maxed out the weight limit on the quad but it did super!



My view as we are heading out.



This was one of many places that we found or saw water in the area. I was surprised at how much water was around there.


Back at the meadows where we parked the truck.

Loading it all at one time!

Loaded and ready to head home! It was a great day!














No comments: